Voluntary Registration is a form of regulation offered to family day homes that are not required by law to be licensed. It is available to child care providers who care for fewer than four** children in their homes. **Effective July 1, 2016 the threshold for Voluntarily Registered homes will be reduced to four children.
The Virginia Department of Social Services, VDSS, has authorized ChildSavers to administer the program in the following localities:
Amelia, Blackstone, Charles City, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Essex, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, James City, King William, Lancaster, Northumberland, Nottoway, Powhatan, Prince George, Richmond, Surry, and Sussex.
And the following cities: Blackstone, Chester, Colonial Heights, Emporia, Glen Allen, Hopewell, Petersburg, Richmond, and Williamsburg.
Why Voluntary Registration?
- As a voluntarily registered provider, you can participate in the USDA Child and Adult Food Program to receive reimbursements for the nutritious meals you serve the children in your care.
- As a voluntarily registered provider, you can participate in the Child Care Aware referral services and technical assistance.
- The opportunity to become a vendor for your local Department of Social Services.
- Receive access to training and other state opportunities that may arise with funding.
- Professionalism: more than being an unregulated provider.
1. Complete the Voluntary Registration Application.
2. Complete all requirement documents per instructions listed on each document. A list of these documents can be found along with the Welcome Letter attached below.
3. Complete a self-assessment of the program requirements using the Health and Safety Checklist.
4. Once you have received background checks back from the State Police and Department of Social Services, send the entire application packet to Dorothy Shears-Billups along with your $50 application fee.
Once all documents and the $50 fee have been received by Dorothy Shears-Billups at ChildSavers, a home visit is scheduled.
5. Congratulations! You completed all of the necessary steps and ChildSavers has recommended you to receive a two-year certificate of registration from the VDSS Commissioner.
For questions or more information, please contact Dorothy Shears-Billups at (804) 591-3923 or VR@childsavers.org.
We value your input, please help us help you by completing a quick survey, please click here.
804) 591-3923 or VR@childsavers.org.
Click below to access ALL required documents.
Important Documents: Voluntary Registration