What is Voluntary Registration?
Voluntary Registration is a form of regulation offered to family day homes that are not required by law to be licensed. It is available to child care providers who care up to four children in their homes (not including your own children).
Why Voluntary Registration?
There are many benefits to becoming voluntarily registered. As a voluntarily registered provider you can:
- Participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program to receive reimbursements for the nutritious meals you serve to the children in your care (free).
- Enroll in the Child Care Aware referral services and technical assistance (free).
- Become a Ready Network partner (free).
- Qualify for potential grants to help you grow your business.
- Become a vendor for your local Department of Social Services.
- Receive access to free training, technical assistance, coaching, and resources that will help you provide the best care possible.
How do I become voluntarily registered?
1. Complete the Voluntary Registration Application.
2. Complete all requirement documents per instructions listed on each document (see below). A list of these documents can be found along with the Welcome Letter.
- Central Registry Background Check
- Fingerprint and Background Check Form
- Tuberculosis Test
- Sworn Statement of Affirmation
- Barrier Crimes
3. Complete a self-assessment of the program requirements using the Health and Safety Checklist.
4. Once you have received background checks back from the State Police and Department of Social Services, send the entire application packet to Dorothy Shears-Billups at ChildSavers along with your $50 application fee. Checks and money orders should be made out to ChildSavers (address below). Once all documents and the $50 fee have been received by Dorothy Shears-Billups at ChildSavers, a home visit is scheduled.
5. Congratulations! You completed all of the necessary steps and ChildSavers has recommended you to receive a two-year certificate of registration from the VDSS Commissioner.
Contact Voluntary Registration
For questions or more information, please contact Dorothy Shears-Billups:
- Phone: (804) 591-3923
- Email: VR@childsavers.org
- ChildSavers’ Address: 200 North 22 Street Richmond, VA 23233
Voluntary Registration at ChildSavers
The Virginia Department of Social Services, VDSS, has authorized ChildSavers to administer the program in the following localities in Virginia: Amelia, Blackstone, Charles City, Chesterfield, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Essex, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, James City, King William, Lancaster, Northumberland, Nottoway, Powhatan, Prince George, Richmond, Surry, Sussex, Blackstone, Chester, Colonial Heights, Emporia, Glen Allen, Hopewell, Petersburg, Richmond, and Williamsburg.