Voluntary Registration is a form of regulation offered to family day homes that are not required by law to be licensed. It is available to child care providers who care for fewer than four** children in their homes. **Effective July 1, 2016 the threshold for Voluntarily Registered homes will be reduced to four children.
The Virginia Department of Social Services, VDSS, has authorized ChildSavers to administer the program in the following localities:
Amelia, Blackstone, Charles City, Chester, Chesterfield, Colonial Heights, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Glen Allen, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, Hopewell, New Kent, Nottoway, Petersburg, Powhatan, Prince George, Richmond City, Surry
Why Voluntary Registration?
1. As a voluntarily registered provider, you can participate in the USDA Child and Adult Food Program to receive reimbursements for the nutritious meals you serve the children in your care.
2. As a voluntarily registered provider, you can participate in the Child Care Aware referral services and technical assistance.
3. The opportunity to become a vendor for your local Department of Social Services.
4. Receive access to training and other state opportunities that may arise with funding.
5. Professionalism: more than being an unregulated provider.
How do I become voluntarily registered?
1. Complete online Training & Assessment
2. Complete all requirement documents per instructions listed on each document. A list of these documents can be found in the Training and Assessment Tool as well as the Welcome Letter attached below.
5. Complete a self-assessment of the program requirements using the Health and Safety Checklist.
6. Once you have received background checks back from the State Police and Department of Social Services, send the entire application packet to LaTasha Smith along with your $50 application fee.
Once all documents and the $50 fee have been received by LaTasha Smith at ChildSavers, a home visit is scheduled.
7. Congratulations! You completed all of the necessary steps and ChildSavers has recommended you to receive a two-year certificate of registration from the VDSS Commissioner.
For questions or more information, please contact LaTasha Smith at (804) 591-3923 or VR@childsavers.org.
We value your input, please help us help you by completing a quick survey, please click here.
You Must Submit Your Assessment With Your Application You Must Submit Your Assessment With Your Application.
Important Documents: Voluntary Registration
Voluntary Registration Requirements
Central Registry Background (Check for Anyone 14 Years or Older in the Home)
Criminal Background Form SP 167 (Provider)
Criminal Background form SP 230 (Assistants & Household Members)
Convictions Requiring Registration in the Sex Offender Registry
Health and Safety Checklist
Complete child enrollment packet
Sworn Statement of Affirmation for Child Day Form